Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On the 2nd Day of Christmas, the Recipe Diva made for me...

Mulled Wine


Can't express how much I love this holiday libation, so perfect for the season!

It's very easy to make and you certainly don't need to follow a 'recipe' -  it's really just a combination of wine, citrus, and spices - use what you like, heat but do not boil, and serve warm. 

For this recipe I poured a magnum of dry shiraz into a saucepan and placed over low heat.  For my citrus, I cut the zest of half an orange using a pairing knife - make sure you do not have any of the bitter white pith.  I went ahead and squeezed in the juice.  For my spice, I added cinnamon sticks, freshly grated nutmeg, and whole cloves stuck into the other orange half.  I added a bit of sugar for some sweetness.  After about 20 minutes or so, I strained the wine and served warm.
 
Like I said, use whatever appeals to you!  Orange, lemon, apple cider... any wintery spices, and if you want an extra kick, you could add brandy or Grand Marnier.

Presentation is a bit tricky - I didn't exacty do the best job (not picture worthy!)  If you have glass mugs, I'd fill up one up and garnish with a cinnamon stick.  Any other suggestions, I'm at a loss???

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails