Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Zucchini Carpaccio Salad

Lately, I just cannot get enough rocket (known as baby arugula in the States).  It's addicting, I seriously find myself munching on it like a rabbit at times.  I am having to force myself to use other greens when making salads.  I suppose it's not the worst addiction that I could have... (I won't mention a little thing called red wine).

Not only is this herb great in salads but it's also perfect if you are looking to add a peppery zip to your dish!  I actually planted some seedlings on Saturday, but about 30 minutes we later we had the most fierce hailstorm that I have ever witnessed and these poor little guys were torn to shreds.  I think I have some more digging to do...

Here's a lovely salad featuring this beautiful herb.  It's light, refreshing and has a perfect sweet, sour, and peppery balance.  It is best served immediately.

Zucchini Carpaccio Salad


Ingredients

2 zucchini
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 handfuls of baby arugula (rocket)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
10 basil leaves
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

Directions

1. Using vegetable peeler and firmly holding zucchini by stem end, shave zucchini lengthwise into long ribbons, discarding outer pieces. 
2. To remove moisture, toss zucchini slices with 1 tsp salt in a large colander set over a bowl and let drain 20 minutes.
3. Rinse zucchini ribbons and gently squeeze with kitchen towel to remove moisture. Pat dry.
4. Whisk together lemon juice, salt and gradually add olive oil to emulsify.  Toss rocket with dressing.
5. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over greens and toss.
6. Chiffonade basil leaves by rolling them tightly, then cutting across the rolled leaves to produce fine ribbons.
7. To arrange salad, sprinkle basil leaves over arugula, top with zucchini slices, sprinkle with lemon zest, shaved parm and pepper. Give a very gentle toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails