Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fresh Seasonal Salads

The weather definitely has an effect on what foods you crave; at least it does in my case.  In colder months, I tend to crave more savory foods - slow cooked meals, more meat, winter vegetables, soups...  In warmer months, I am usually look for something lighter - fruits, seafood, salads...

There's nothing better than a simple, summery salad on one of these VERY HOT days!  A staple for me that takes no time at all is your standard cucumber and onion salad. 

There are many different variations but making sure to marinate your cucumber and onion is a key step.  Combine vinegar, water, and sugar (I use a ratio of 2:2:1 respectively but modify as you please) until sugar is dissolved.  Peel and slice your cucumber(s) and onion(s) and marinate for 1-3 hours in refridgerator.


My mouth was watering at this point... but you have to let it marinate...

Leave salad at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.  I added salt, pepper, dried oreganos and tomatoes.  I used vine-ripe tomatoes but it would be great with some halved, sweet grape tomatoes.  Feel free to add whatever fresh herbs/veggies you desire!  Makes a great delicious and healthy snack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails